Do you wonder where all the stuff in people's blogs comes from? So do I. I wonder where it comes from and I wonder why I have more of it.

Thursday 28 April 2011

A Hot Day Out In Kuwait and Assa Abloy's Aperio arrives on my desk






The chances are fairly high that I will not watch the Royal Wedding tomorrow...note the cap letters as a sign of my respect to the Royal (did it again) Couple (probably didn't need to there...). I'm hoping for New Year's Honours...

The weather in Kuwait was surprisingly cool over the last couple of days. I dropped into town to talk to a few people about some projects that are happening. Interesting in a number of different ways - none of them being the ways I'd intended.

It's one of the hottest places in the Gulf in the middle of summer, but it was actually really quite pleasant for the time of year - or as pleasant as Kuwait every gets...it's like there's been a war there or something...

At one point we were hurtling through traffic in a car that weighed enough to ensure it had absolutely no chance of stopping if anything unexpected happened in front of us for maybe half a mile, and for a bunch of different reasons I was thinking about how if the word "Flammable" meanth susceptible to catching fire, "In-Flammablle" must surely mean the opposite of that...

Anything to take my mind off my impending death.

I got one of the Assa Abloy Aperio wireless locks in my hand for the first time today. It comes with what they call a "wireless hub" which is in fact the device that provides you with the communications to the main access control system. You have to have one "hub" to one "lock" at the moment, but they're talking about having some sort of one to many connection model availablel some time in the future.

Taking the battery cover off the lock I'm not sure the build quality is robusst enough. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know how I feel about the little slide-in clip that gets used to release the battery cover either. In my view it isn't going to work on all types of doors and you need to get the position of the cylinder just right when you install. It'll work best if the cylinder protrudes just a little...

I can't hook the damned thing up to anything right now because I don't have a panel that's compatible as yet. The Maxxess eMAX panels are (but they're still stuck in the supply chain somewhere). I'll take some shots and let you see how it goes together when I get a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment