Do you wonder where all the stuff in people's blogs comes from? So do I. I wonder where it comes from and I wonder why I have more of it.

Saturday 25 June 2011

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned...



Ok, so I bought an iPad2...shoot me!

The whole time I was buying the thing I was thinking to myself "why am I doing this?"...then the next things I was walking back through the mall with my little bag asking myself "why did I do that?"...and now I just spent the time since I woke this morning trauling thing the AppStore looking for useful little dickety-doos to install on the thing, then trudging through my music collection and transferring (converting...waiting...) to iTunes all the stuff I might be likely to listen to any time soon...

I am a sad person. But it's happened.

I watched a couple of presentations lately that were made on Keynote and they did look very nice...sort of "not like PowerPoint" enough for me to like them. I've also managed to find a bunch of my favourite little tools to download (Evernote, DropBox, Remember the Milk...for instance) and that makes me happy.

I've downloaded a few note taking/scratchpad/digital whiteboard type things to see which one fits the way I like to do things. I think I'm going to have to get a stylus...

The big question would need to be, could this thing actually replace the notebook and pen I carry around with me everywhere I go...? Who knows...probably not, because even though it has an 8 hour battery life my notebook has an endless battery life and is recharged by me just buying another pen...

Interestingly, the very first utility listed in the AppStore was a CCTV calculator that works out lens sizes, storage and volt drop along cables. Hmm...we'll see if it becomes my trusted side kick...

What I'm probably more guilty about is the absense of blog posts. Just too damned busy and too damned hot.

This week I've been wondering about Thales and their Crisis Management Software Suite - the thing they call Hypervisor...

I haven't seen this thing in real life whereas I have seen things like AtlasOps which do much the same (or are supposed to). The functionality is also quite common in a lot of the better PSIM applications that are becoming popular...so I'm wondering whether this isn't just a dinosaur developed by a large French dinosaur organisation...

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a technophobe by any means but the only apple I have is normally for lunch. Never bought into the Apple thing at all. Hated Mac's from a support prospective when I used to work with them at a publishing company and I guess it's kinda unfairly stuck.. (Although they were beautifully made back then. Taking apart a PowerMac was great - hinged cases and clever cable carriers - compared to an IBM clone with cables stuff in it, it was amazing).

    Anyhow iDunno - having an Apple iProduct is just not something I've ever craved. I do get the feeling that people (not you mind ;-) ) just buy Apple products for prestige and peer pressure. Bloke at work/mate has new iPhone/iPod/iPad/.... therefore I must have. Anyhow nothing wrong with that I suppose. After all they are a company that needs to sell stuff so, this iEnvy works wonders for Apples marketing dept I'm sure.

    So anyhow I've not used the iPad - just been shown the orig one, so my comments are entirely without any backing whatsoever! It looked nice and I'm sure they fill a "slight" void but I'd still rather have a netbook I think. Unless I get an iPad 2 given to me for free - then of course it's the bees knees and a must have.

    Needless to say I have an Android based phone....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to admit it but the damned thing works...
    A part of me is thinking maybe I should have held out and got the 3G version...but I'm much too miserly for that. Perhaps next year and I'll palm this one off as a christmas present or something.
    Still a little self-concsious whipping it out in a meeting, but I guess I'll get over that.
    I need a beer...this has been a tough week and it's only monday already...

    ReplyDelete
  3. >Still a little self-concsious whipping it out in a meeting, but I guess I'll get over that.

    Snigger. But you don't take the iPad to meetings...

    ReplyDelete